If you live in or visit Southern California, you’ll quickly discover just HOW MUCH there is to do, and all within a few hours of each other! I went to the L.A. Arboretum, which is located in Arcadia, California (about 30 minutes from L.A. with traffic).
We have the beach, the mountains, the desert, the O.G. Disneyland, Hollywood, and L.A. within a 2 hour drive (or much less!). So, yeah, I love it here.
Anyways, we went to the Arboretum (my first time) a few days ago, and here’s what to expect.
- It’s super cheap to get in ($9 for adult, $6 with student I.D.)
- There are PEACOCKS. EVERYWHERE. (Arcadia/Azusa has a lot of wild peacocks roaming about, who got away from their rich owners)
- There are lots of beautiful places for photos/flower sniffing/zen things
- You can have your wedding or other events here
- There are many cool factoids and places, like Baldwin Lake or Queen Anne’s Cottage.
- You’ll find a ton of PokeStops and a gym or two (the website even has a little blurb about happy visitors tapping away on their phones for Pokemon)
I think my favorite places were the plumeria gardens and the rose gardens. Also, it was kinda cool/creepy to hear male peacocks making their freaky calling sounds. (BTW, the male peacocks are the ones with the pretty plumage, while the brown peacocks are female!)
The plumerias smelled amazing, as did the rose garden. They also have a turtle pond!
To explore the entire area, it took us about 3-4 hours. Go early, otherwise you’ll be sweating like crazy by noon. Also, bring lots of water and sunscreen. They do not allow outside food, but you can either purchase food from the café or picnic outside the gardens.